a place to start your career when you don't know where to start


Monday, June 6, 2016

Floral Designer

Jenna G.

"I design floral arrangements for weddings and events. Everything from centerpieces, ceremony arches, hanging floral installations, greenery garlands, and more!"



Education


Required License(s)



I obtained a business license in 2015. 
Required Degree(s)


Floral Design is considered an art, so all you need is talent and passion. 
Importance of GPA


somewhat important


What do you need to do to maintain your license(s)?
You have to renew your business license each year. 

Jenna's Highest Degree: bachelor's degree (Bachelor of Arts)
Jenna's College Major: Early Childhood Education (I'm also a full-time teacher!)
Jenna's College GPA Range: 3.6-3.9



Salary


Salary varies depending on the size of events as well as the price-range of packages.
Floral Design can be very profitable, and really depends on how hard you want to work. 



Getting the Job


How did you get your job?
Floral design was a dream of mine that I put 100% into learning more about. I had no experience or knowledge of flowers before I began. I researched, watched videos, and got my hands on flowers to learn. I am almost completely self-taught besides helping another floral designer with setup a couple of times. It took a lot of hustle and being okay with trial and error. 

How important was networking to landing your position?
Networking is HUGE when starting your own business. Before I started [my floral design business] Gold & Bloom, I blogged for five years. I built relationships with people across the country as well as brands in the south. When I started my business, I had their immediate support which has helped with growth.



Life on the Job


What is a typical day (or week) for you like?
After the school day is over, I head home to my studio where I spend a few hours emailing clients, taking orders, and interacting on social media. Thursday through Sunday are flower days, so those are extremely busy days! On design day, I can be on my feet for 10 hours at a time preparing for a wedding. On the actual wedding day, I get up with the sun and then usually don't finish working until after midnight. I am a full-service floral design business, so each client gets a lot of attention. 

How closely does your typical day (or week) match up to the general "job description" for your position?
Very closely! I am the owner and designer. I take care of everything: social media, ordering flowers, scheduling events, communication with clients, designing, setup, cleanup.

Does being a woman affect any aspect of your career?
Not really. It takes a lot of organization, strength, and talent which any gender can have. I think being a woman who has started her own business is a big deal, though. One day when I have kids, I do plan on working from home and keeping my kids at home during their first few years. So that is a benefit that I look forward to when that time comes. 

What is the best thing about your job?
The best thing about being a floral designer is meeting new people, being challenged creatively, and being able to do what I love! I also get to dictate my own hours, call the shots, and basically be my own boss. 

What is the worst thing about your job?
Since weddings and events are usually on weekends, I have to miss a lot of family events. They understand, but it is difficult to miss out on some of those memories to quality time. 

How demanding is your job?
It is very demanding both physically and mentally. Flower processing days can take up to 5 hours depending on the size of the wedding. Design days can take up to 12 hours! The wedding day can be 15 or more hours. That's a lot of time on my feet, lifting heavy buckets, and lots of walking. It's quite the workout! Right now since I'm working basically two full-time jobs, I'm almost constantly drained. So on my off days, rest is essential. 

Do you have any advancement opportunities?
My next step is going full-time in my flower business, instead of splitting my time between teaching and flowers. My passion is in this business, so that is where I want to be!



Advice for You


What are the skills, characteristics, or talents that are most important to be effective in your position?
Having a background in art and design (or at least appreciating art and design), organization, multi-tasking, and the ability to network with other creatives are all very important. 

What advice would you give to someone thinking about pursuing a career like yours?
Don't give up, learn as much as you can, and ask lots of questions to other established floral designers. Get ready to learn a lot, and to have fun doing what you love. 

If you could do it over again, would you still pursue the same career?
Yes! I love floral design. It's my dream job!



Follow Up

Want to learn more?
Check out Jenna's site here.

Want to read later?
Pin me -->