a place to start your career when you don't know where to start


Thursday, June 9, 2016

ESL Teacher

Amy

"I'm currently teaching first graders in a bilingual school here in Budapest. As an ESL teacher, I've also taught in Prague. In Prague, I taught pre-school, kindergarten, English club, and had private child clients and private clients at businesses. It's a job that varies wherever you are in the world!"



Education


Required License(s)



Some countries require a TEFL/TESOL certificate
Required Degree(s)



A Bachelor's degree
Importance of GPA


not very important


What do you need to do to maintain your license(s)?
To obtain my certificate, I took a month long intensive course in Prague. There are many of these courses, all over the world.  As tempting as it is to live in say, Paris, for a month, it is best to take a course somewhere you will more likely to be able to find a job, since you'll have built-in networking at your program. 

Amy's Highest Degree: Bachelor's degree (Bachelor of Arts) and Master's degree
Amy's College Major: Bachelor's in English and Master's in Psychology.
Amy's College GPA Range: 3.1-3.5


Salary


ESL teachers have a huge range of pay, primarily depending on the country. Generally, an ESL teacher can get paid more in Asia or the Middle East. While I don't make very much here in Budapest, at least by US standards, my salary package includes perks: like a free apartment! Plus, the cost of living is quite low here. 



Getting the Job


How did you get your job?
I found my job thanks to the internet (research!), and then I happened to meet a woman teaching for my current program in Hungary, which solidified my decision. From there, I reached out to see if there were any openings in the program, interviewed for a few, and the rest is history. 

How important was networking to landing your position?
For this particular position, not so important, although it helped to have good references. In Prague, I found the best jobs through networking, so it depends on where you are.



Life on the Job


What is a typical day (or week) for you like?
My days vary greatly, but here is one example: I wake up at around 6am, take an hour-long commute and begin teaching at 8:45am. I teach in 45-minute blocks approximately, with breaks in between, although my breaks still involve supervising the children. I have lessons until about 1.30pm, then a staff meeting, then planning for the following days. Depending on the planning and the commute, I get home anytime between 2-5pm. Often I plan at home, too. 

How closely does your typical day (or week) match up to the general "job description" for your position?
My job description is not entirely accurate, as I am not a main class teacher. Rather, I co-teach with a Hungarian teacher. This is not necessarily unique to be an English teacher, although I wasn't expecting this dynamic in this particular job. However, I do teach less than I thought—and on the flip side, I plan much more than I thought I would have to. 

Does being a woman affect any aspect of your career?
Teaching is often a female-dominated field, especially while working with elementary age children, and in more old-fashioned countries, they still don't hire men to work with very young children. Since I am newly married, many people have questioned if I will be leaving soon to have children—perhaps if I ever say yes to this question while being interviewed, I wouldn't get the job!

What is the best thing about your job?
The students!

What is the worst thing about your job?
The politics!

How demanding is your job?
It was quite demanding at first, but now that I have been here over 3 months it is getting better. I always get very invested in my students, so it is hard on me mentally and emotionally if I don't practice self-care. Physically, I am on my feet and moving most of the day, which is great for my health but also exhausting!

Do you have any advancement opportunities?
In my current position, there is little room for advancement, unless I stay for over 5 years. However, I will be taking a different position next fall—same job at a different school. I'm not sure how long I will be staying there, but there is more opportunity for advancement. 



Advice for You


What are the skills, characteristics, or talents that are most important to be effective in your position?
Creative, open-minded, interest in new cultures, adaptability.  Teaching is not easy, and going overseas will present its own set of different challenges.

What advice would you give to someone thinking about pursuing a career like yours?
Do it! ;) It's amazing to get the chance to live somewhere else and have a job, which is the main reason people are drawn to this career. Many people do it for the short-term, however, and it is a great experience just for a year or two. I would recommend, though, that you take the teaching aspect seriously as well as the traveling aspect, no matter how long you are going to do it—it might be just a way to help you fund your travels, but for your students, their education will impact their whole lives!

If you could do it over again, would you still pursue the same career?
Yes! I love my job and I love that I get to live in different countries while I do it. I would do a few things differently, however: get started sooner, maybe right of out of my undergrad, and I would get certified to teach in the United States as well. 



Follow Up

Want to learn more?
Check out Amy's site here.

Want to read later?
Pin me -->