a place to start your career when you don't know where to start


Thursday, July 7, 2016

Content Marketing Manager

Rachel M.

"A Content Marketing Manager is responsible for a company or product's content, from start to finish. This includes creating a content strategy, producing the content, marketing the content, and measuring the results."



Education


Required License(s)




None
Required Degree(s)



Typically a Bachelor's degree in a similar field is required
Importance of GPA


not very important


Rachel's Highest Degree: Bachelor's degree (Bachelor of Arts)
Rachel's College Major: Communications, with a concentration in Public Relations


Salary


It varies greatly on the location of the company, as well as the numbers of years of experience the employee has. But for a ballpark, I'd say between $60,000 and $100,000.



Getting the Job


How did you get your job?
I found out about this job from a recruiter at the company. My now boss found me on LinkedIn, liked my credentials and writing, and the rest is history! I would say that it was likely my experience in SEO (search engine optimization), as well as my freelance writing projects and personal lifestyle blog, that really helped me get this specific position.

How important was networking to landing your position?
For this specific position, none. Which I'm proud of! It's great that people can network their way into jobs, but not everyone is lucky enough to have that opportunity. They say marketing is all about who you know (which is mostly true), but for me it's been more about working hard. 



Life on the Job


What is a typical day (or week) for you like?
I start my week off on Monday with lots of meetings with my team members and coworkers. Throughout the week, I'll be writing content, promoting it, and tracking its results. There really is no typical week, but my mind is always revolving around content. "Oh, that would be a good blog post idea" is said aloud least twice a day. 

How closely does your typical day (or week) match up to the general "job description" for your position?
A lot, for the most part. I rarely say "no" to opportunities though, so when someone asks for extra help on something that's NOT in my job description, I tend to help out. That keeps things interesting and exciting, though! 

Does being a woman affect any aspect of your career?
Sometimes, yes. Since I work in the technology industry as a non-technical employee, sometimes people think I'm "just a dumb marketing chick." I also look pretty young, so I get a lot of people who treat me like I'm fresh out of college and don't take me seriously in my role. 

What is the best thing about your job?
I love the creativity to it. I'm passionate about writing, content, and marketing in general (which is why I am a freelance writer and blogger in my spare time), so the fact that I get paid for doing it is so awesome. I love being able to use my brain to come up with creative ways to present my thoughts and ideas, and ultimately help my company succeed. 

What is the worst thing about your job?
Content is everywhere. Every business needs content to survive. So it can be tough to really do something "groundbreaking" that will "stand out from the crowd." Sometimes it can feel like everything has already been said or done. 

How demanding is your job?
I'm very lucky that my company values work-life balance (specifically my manager and teammates). Yes, some days I'll stay a little late or answer emails on the weekend, but that's MY choice. I also have a fairly long commute, so I can't just leave the office and be home 10 minutes later. This helps motivate me to leave on time and get home early enough to make dinner and relax with my fiancĂ© and cats. 

Do you have any advancement opportunities?
Definitely. I was originally hired as a Content Marketing Writer and was then promoted to Content Marketing Manager after a year. So I think I just went through that advancement, actually. 



Advice for You


What are the skills, characteristics, or talents that are most important to be effective in your position?
Creativity. Excellent organization skills. Passion. Being a good writer (obviously)! 

What advice would you give to someone thinking about pursuing a career like yours?
I originally wanted to be a journalist, but was constantly told it wasn't a good idea since it was too cutthroat and that the industry was dying. So I switched to Public Relations, thinking I could use my writing skills there. Ultimately, I ended up in digital/online marketing, using a mixture of those skills from my college years to pave my own way into a "content marketing" career. My advice would be to trust your gut—don't switch your major because someone tells you to. Complete a few internships—they'll help you decide what you do and don't like. Lastly, don't be afraid to work for free! You are not entitled to a job at any time in your life. I started a blog in my spare time to improve my writing skills. I wrote for websites for free to build up my portfolio. Those free gigs have helped me get where I am today (and now I rarely need to do work for free)! 

If you could do it over again, would you still pursue the same career?
Definitely. I wish colleges would revamp their communications programs to include newer areas like online marketing or content marketing. Those are the jobs that journalism/PR graduates are getting these days. 



Follow Up

Want to learn more?
Check out Rachel's site here
and her portfolio here.

Want to read later?
Pin me -->