a place to start your career when you don't know where to start


Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Patent Agent

Nicole C.

"I help inventors patent their inventions. Specifically, I help technical people describe their inventions in a patent application, which is submitted to the US Patent Office. I then assist the inventors throughout prosecution of the application (i.e., the process of  turning the patent application into a patent)."



Education


Required License(s)




Must pass the Patent Bar Exam
Required Degree(s)


A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in science or technology, and usually some sort of advanced degree 
Importance of GPA



very important


Nicole's Highest Degree: Bachelor's degree (Bachelor of Science)
Nicole's College Major: Biochemistry
Nicole's College GPA Range: 3.6-3.9



Salary


Depends on Experience
$50,000 - $200,000



Getting the Job


How did you get your job?
I first got a job as a paralegal for an intellectual property boutique law firm in Chicago, where I soaked up as much as I could about patent law while I studied for the Patent Bar Exam. After I passed the Patent Bar Exam, I moved to Washington, DC, to take a job as a patent agent for a general practice law firm. A year and a half later, I  moved to Florida with my fiance and became a self-employed consulting patent agent, although I still work closely with the same DC-based firm.

How important was networking to landing your position?
Incredibly important. Although I had passed the Patent Bar Exam, I had essentially no experience when I was hired by the DC-based law firm. However, I had reached out to one of the partners at that law firm (via a mutual friend) prior to passing the Patent Bar Exam, and she recommended me for the job. Without that connection, my resume likely would not have even been considered.



Life on the Job


What is a typical day (or week) for you like?
Most of my day is spent in front of the computer writing papers. Most of these papers are essentially "arguments" that I'll submit to patent examiners at the Patent Office (i.e., the people who review patent applications and decide if they are patentable). That is, using a combination of legal and technical arguments, I try to convince the examiners that our patent application describes a new invention. My favorite part of my job, however, is talking to inventors about their invention, and then describing that invention in a new patent application. Of course, I do spend some time each week on administrative-type tasks (e.g., managing my docket, creating invoices, filling out formal paperwork from the Patent Office), but luckily those tasks do not take an enormous amount of time.

How closely does your typical day (or week) match up to the general "job description" for your position?
Pretty standard for a patent agent who works in a law firm. Although I am technically self-employed, I work closely with the patent attorneys at the DC-based law firm where I had previously worked, and essentially work with the same clients I had been working with prior to becoming a consultant. So although I work from home, my day-to-day is not a lot different than if I was a law firm employee. (Except now, I don't wear pants.)

Does being a woman affect any aspect of your career?
No, not really. Although I work primarily with men, I haven't felt that I've been treated differently because I am a woman.

What is the best thing about your job?
I get to write and argue all day, which are two of my favorite things to do. (A quality my fiance finds endearing, I'm sure.)

What is the worst thing about your job?
Urgent, "surprise" deadlines are not uncommon. Although I enjoy my job, it can be enormously stressful at times.

How demanding is your job?
It fluctuates between pull-out-my-hair stressful and surprisingly laid back, depending on how many applications I'm working on. The only constant demand is time management; there's a sweet spot between working all night and  full-out procrastination that can be difficult to find when you work from home.

Do you have any advancement opportunities?
Not as a patent agent. I can move laterally (e.g., I can work for a company instead of with a law firm), become entirely self-sufficient (e.g., get my own clients instead of working with the DC-based firm's clients), and/or become a more "senior" patent agent (meaning I could get a raise), but my title will always be "patent agent."

I can, however, get a law degree, which would make me a "patent attorney" instead of a "patent agent." Although this would not change my job in terms of prosecuting patent applications, it would allow me to do some things that I cannot legally do now (e.g., represent someone in court or give legal opinions). If I were to become a patent attorney, I could definitely advance from there (e.g., become a partner at a law firm). However, the transition from agent to attorney is more of a job change than it is a real advancement.



Advice for You


What are the skills, characteristics, or talents that are most important to be effective in your position?
Most importantly, you should be a strong writer. It also helps if you are able to see the big picture instead of getting caught up in details. (Although you can't completely ignore details either.) Having a solid understanding of whatever technology you are focusing on is also helpful.

What advice would you give to someone thinking about pursuing a career like yours?
Network your butt off. Talk to as many patent-related people as you can, and learn as much as possible from them. If you're still in school, focus on your GPA. Think about becoming an examiner for the Patent Office if you're having a hard time getting hired as a patent agent. (Many people I work with started out this way.)

And most importantly, remember that there's no "right way" to get started with this career. When I started, almost everyone told me that I would need some sort of advanced degree to get hired, which just wasn't true. If you want it and you're willing to work for it, you can make it happen.

If you could do it over again, would you still pursue the same career?
At this point, absolutely. I genuinely enjoy what I do, and like it more as I gain more experience.



Follow Up

Want to learn more?
Contact me here.

Want to read later?
Pin me -->